Honest Talk

"Birthed in shadows reaching for the light."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Open minded since 1970.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Million Man Anniversary

An open question, and hopefully discussion:

Well, the anniversary of the Million Man March is almost upon us. I remember being on the Mall all those years ago, with many more people than the media expected. The massive under-reporting was amazing in and of itself. One news program claimed there was 100K, some said 200k, but it was neither. Those that were there will affirm that that mark of 1,000,000 was reached. There were men and there were women from all areas of society. People took the metro from a few miles away, and people took buses from the west coast. From North and from South, from East and West people flooded Washington, DC to bring the unheard voice of the Black man to the world.

So, I ask you this: We were to be better men, we were to be providers and protectors, we were to be the heroes and roll models for our children, we were to provide that hand to our brothers and sisters, we were to be the guiding light out of the darkness of despair, we were to be that hand reaching down to pull up those that had fallen, we were to be the healers of those sickened by the daily struggle of existence, "WE" were to be all these things and more, so, where are we now? Where are you now?

Have we as a people met our goals? Have we as individuals met our goals? What do our children see when they look up to us? Our nieces & nephews? When our parents look at us, are they proud without reservation? Should they be? What do you see when you look within yourself?

2 Comments:

Blogger allysther said...

Would the kid you were when you were young think that you as you are right now are a cool, good person? Would you be able to impress yourself?

5:00 AM  
Blogger Zanla said...

When I was a kid I wanted to grow up and be 1) happy, and 2) a lawyer. Since that time, I have become a lawyer, worked inside the DC Beltway for over 4 years. I have flown in C17s, C130s, Blackhawk Helicopters. I have represented the entire United States of America before International Claims Tribunals. I have mentored at schools in a country recovering from civil war. I have negotiated with Elders, Mayors, Governors, and Warlords. I have been to war where I had to draw my M16 on someone. I have first hand experience on what a 107mm rocket looks like when it is coming in my general direction. I am the only JAG officer I know that was asked by his commander to be a part of his Personal Security Detachment, in charge of his life. More importantly, I have happily been with my wonderful wife for 14 years, 7 months, and 27 days. My son loves me and has told me that I am his hero. I love being a father and a husband. I help children when I can. I help adults when I can. I strive to be the standard others try to meet, not simply meet the standard set by others. My family, my parents respect the man that I have become.

Would a younger me think I was cool? A good person? You better believe it.

I do understand though that I have not reached some goal. My journey will last a life time. At the end I hope to look back to now and ask myself the same question that you just asked me.

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited country map or check our Venice travel guide