Honest Talk

"Birthed in shadows reaching for the light."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Open minded since 1970.

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Coming Home

After one year and several hours two of my soldiers came home. They were part of a larger group of men and women freshly away from the war in Iraq. The tears that flowed through the crowd did not distinguish between men and women, nor between civilian or military. Everyone was moved in some manner.

Yesterday, we were off to dinner with one of the couples that were reunited after that year of separation. Newlyweds, that now get the chance to be newlyweds. While waiting for our table I quickly turned my friend around to see the fireworks that had just started in the distance. The trail of light had just burst as he completed his turn.

You see, I Honestly did not want him to have the same reaction as I did on New Year's Eve. My family had stayed at home. We could not see the fireworks, but we could hear them. It is amazing how fireworks sound like REAL explosions. You really don't know the sound until you have had the misfortune of being in a warzone.

To the casual glance he looked find standing on the balcony overlooking the fireworks. But when he looked at me he said quietly, "Why am I jumping on the inside?" To him I replied, "The same reason I did on New Year's. Trust me, it is better when you see the fireworks and know them for what they are than if you just hear them."

It eases with time. The reaction I mean. The memory is fresh and faded at the same time. If you have never been there try to understand. Even if you fail, try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited country map or check our Venice travel guide